I am starting to get used to my weekday routine here in Rome. It was my turn today (thanks to our handy roommate chore list) to take out the garbage, which was a success! In case anyone is wondering, on Tuesdays between 9:30 and 10:30 residents of Via di Monseratto can take out plastic/metal/glass recycling to the nearby Piazza Farnese where the garbage men are very nice! By 10:30 I found my way to the Campidiolgio for my drawing class. Hooray for Google Maps! After three hours of drawing beautiful statues and architecture outdoors (but soaking up lots of Vitamin D, thanks sunshine!), I was ready for lunch and to warm up.
Later, after class #2 (this time on campus) my roommate Alyssa and I explored. We found the coffee machine on campus, where for just 35 cents you can purchase anything from hot chocolate to cappuccino! Even better, it comes in a little to-go cup (at most cafes here baristas look at you like you’re crazy if you ask for your coffee to-go). On our way home, we decided to find the elusive supermarket that is supposed to be super close to our apartment...and I wanted to buy flour so I could make macaroni cheese and crepes. We found it! This supermarket also has a much better selection (including tortillas for Mexican food! Yes, I miss Mexican food). After 20 minutes of wandering the little supermarket we finally found my flour, ("farina" in Italian) hidden under the shelves of pasta.
A note about our kitchen --
It came very well equipped with cooking necessities, often to the point of ridiculousness. I decided to organize the kitchen, because if you know me, you know that I like my kitchen to be spotless and organized at all times. I found that we have a very mismatched assortment of pots and pans, about four cheese graters, a giant mincing knife and three spring-form pans (cheesecake, anyone?). However, we apparently have no measuring utensils of any kind. How will I satisfy my baking cravings? I will look to buy some, but until then I think I am going to test my estimation skills (thanks, Mom for teaching me so well!) and visiting bakeries often.
My dinner of Italian-style mac 'n cheese turned out surprisingly good for my first attempt! Substituting cheddar cheese and bacon for asiago and panchetta never hurt a meal! Nutella crepes will come later...my roommates don't believe I can do it, but they don't quite yet understand my domesticity.
That's all for now, I have some European adventures to plan with Carleigh Rixon! Only four classes between me and the weekend....
No comments:
Post a Comment