I was lucky to arrive on time -- I barely escaped the snowstorm in DC and successfully found my flight connection in the dreaded Heathrow airport with time to spare. There were about eight other John Cabot University (JCU) students on my fight so we found the Hilton Hotel together where we were greeted my JCU staff and shuttled directly to our BEAUTIFUL apartments.
I couldn't believe my eyes as we approached my own building and remained in shock as I walked though the short hallway and unlocked the gate to a small courtyard. Finding my apartment was interesting...apparently, “1° piano, scala B,” means I have to go up three flights of stairs and play around with finicky Italian locks to get in. Of course none of the rooms are clearly labeled so I had to try two other apartment doors before I found my own which is labeled “Lucia Antonelli” (luckily a JCU staff member helped me with my luggage and finding my room! Grazie!).
My apartment is awesome. It is a spacious and authentic Italian three bedroom with tons of character, from the kitchen tiles to the linens. I have five roommates who are each great and come from all over the U.S. - Texas, New York, Wyoming, California and even one from my hometown, Rockville!
It is a quiet building on Via di Monserrato and all the other residents are Italian. The owners are a sweet little old man and woman who sit in an office by the gate and greet us as we come and go. Last night the lady helped us turn on the furnaces and either she doesn't speak a word of English or she was testing our Italian skills.
View 34 Via di Monseratto, Roma in a larger map
Our location is fabulous. We are just a 10 minute walk to the JCU campus and around the corner from the Campo di Fiori. There is everything I need within walking distance - tons of restaurants, pizzerias, little bakeries, cafes, bars, gelaterias and of course the open air produce market during the day in the Campo. I went grocery shopping there for the first time today and can't wait to go back!
Buying fresh food is quickly becoming an addiction, which will only increase as I become more confident with speaking the language and learning the words for all the food. I got half a loaf of fresh bread for only 70 cents and a huge piece of fresh parmigiano-reggiano for only 4 euro!
The weather is perfect. With just a light jacket and I'm ready to walk around for hours...I hope it stays this way! However I don't think that the Italians think it is so warm. I see them wearing down coats in the mid-50s weather.
Some funny things about Italian law:
A bar must have a specific license to allow dancing.
The city observes quiet hours from 11pm-7am and from 1pm-4pm...this is enforced by the police.
Meanwhile, drivers are crazy and park very creatively.
I think that is all I have for today! Off to get an afternoon espresso and maybe a sfogliatelle with my roommate :) ciao!
No comments:
Post a Comment