Tuesday, March 1, 2011

A Taste of Home: baking soda, shopping malls and Mexican food

Whoops! I thought I published this post a week ago! Let me catch you up on everything going on here:

Saturday, February 19th
I finally found baking soda!!! That's right - after a couple weeks of searching, I found "bicarbonato di sodio." I never thought it would be so difficult to find a basic baking ingredient, but after looking in about five different grocery stores I just asked a worker at the largest Despar (a popular supermarket chain here) where I could find the product. He led me past the baking section, past the cleaning products and to the bottled water aisle in a corner of the store. Whoever would have thought that the baking soda would be there?! Anyways, I am now motivated to make as many recipes as possible now that I have the ingredient. Chocolate chip cookies, check. On the way: biscuits, pancakes, banana bread.....

Sunday, February 20th
I am starting to get very tired of the clothes I managed to fit into my two suitcases. With springtime just around the corner, I was definitely due for a shopping spree! I walked with my roommate, Sarah, toward the Spanish Steps which is the best shopping district in town. There we found not one, but two Zaras. They were right across the street from the other and both with three levels. Amazing. And even better, they had a sale. I managed to find a dress, skirt and two shirts...I could have bought more and will definitely be back soon (maybe shoes next time?)

Monday, February 21st
We had our first fiesta! "We" included me and a bunch of Texans (they all seem to stick together) with one thing in common: severely missing Mexican food. Yes, our fiesta was complete with tortilla chips and queso (with good, old, processed Velveeta cheese that one of the boys acquired!), chicken fajitas and homemade tortillas. After nearly two months of Italian cuisine, Mexican food was so refreshing! And listening to country music all night has a special way of warming the soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment